A+ A-

2. Stay in Dessau-Roßlau

Startseite / Integrationsportal Dessau-Roßlau / Willkommenskompass / Welcome Guide (English) / 2. Stay in Dessau-Roßlau

Registration at the Citizens' Office and the Foreigners' Office

Immediately after their arrival, citizens of the EU and of Switzerland as well as foreign students have to register with the Bürgeramt (Citizen's Office). For this registration, you need a passport, a biometric photo, your registration certificate and a certificate of your membership in the health insurance.

All people coming from countries outside the European Union, the European Economic Community and Switzerland have to register with the Ausländerbehörde (Foreigner's Office). The Foreigners' Office deals with all matters regarding residence law. It grants the residence permit or the business establishment permit.

When you come to Dessau-Roßlau in the course of asylum proceedings, all data regarding the state of your proceedings are given to the local foreigners' office. Nevertheless you have to personally register with the Foreigners' Office with all your family members. If possible, use the services of a Sprachmittler (translator or interpreter) for assistance.



Das könnte Sie interessieren:

Residence title

Residence title

For their immigration and stay in Germany, foreigners generally need a permit. This is granted in the form of a residence title. As stipulated in the Immigration Act, two different titles are granted, the residence permit and the settlement permit.

The settlement permit is valid for an unlimited period of time. To be granted a settlement permit, you should usually hold a residence permit for five years and satisfy further requirements.  For example, you should have a sufficient command of the German language and not have been convicted of previous criminal offences. Highly qualified immigrants may be granted a settlement permit after a shorter period already.

The residence permit is generally granted for a limited period of time, and for a specific residence purpose.

In the asylum proceedings, four forms of protection are considered: (1) asylum right, (2) refugee protection, (3) subsidiary protection, and (4) national deportation prohibitions.

  1. Persons entitled to asylum are granted a residence permit for three years and a German passport substitute document (travel document).
  2. Accepted refugees are granted a residence permit for three years.
  3. Persons holding subsidiary protection status are granted a residence permit in Germany for one year.
  4. In case of a national deportation prohibition, you are granted a residence permit for one year for humanitarian reasons.

Further information on the forms of protection can be obtained from the Ausländerbehörde (Foreigner's Office) and on the website of the Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge (Federal Agency for Migration and Refugees).

Legal representation

Legal representation

Every person in Germany has the right to be represented by a lawyer. Lawyers are independent representatives and consultants in different spheres of law, e.g. in the field of the residence law. In the asylum proceedings, you may be represented by a lawyer. This representation is voluntary. The lawyer is not obliged to represent you. You can freely choose the lawyer who shall represent you. After a first consultation, a contract is concluded between you and the lawyer. The lawyer has to inform you about the scope of his services and the associated cost. If possible, ask a Sprachmittler (translator or interpreter) to accompany you in the consultation to ensure good understanding. When you intend to utilize the assistance of a lawyer, please turn to the gesonderte Beratung und Betreuung (special advice and attendance service) They can arrange your contact to a lawyer.